slide

Camera is a responsive/adaptive slideshow. Try to resize the browser window
It uses a light version of jQuery mobile, navigate the slides by swiping with your fingers
It's completely free (even though a donation is appreciated)
Camera slideshow provides many options to customize your project as more as possible
It supports captions, HTML elements and videos.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

How I use: Coconut Oil


Hello everyone,
Happy New Month and I wish you a most fulfilling month of April!

This post is obviously not a recipe post even though the object of discussion can be used in various recipes.

I remember growing up, I always heard the term Adiagbon (coconut oil), Yoruba people use it specifically for its healing properties, usually to soothe skin irritations or for a new baby among other things.
So somewhere in my mind I had always known coconut oil was good for your skin at least. I think I got into the whole coconut oil craze about three years ago, because the beauty community was buzzing crazy about how coconut oil is BAE...lol and all the wonders it performs. Of course one of the many ways I use coconut oil is to cook, but I must say on rear occasions, so lets talk about other great ways I use this 8th world wonder.

Moisturizer- I use Coconut oil to moisturize after my night showers, very rarely do I use it during the day except I'm going to be home all day because it gets a little too heavy and oily for the hot humid Lagos weather, however during the colder months I'll use it everyday or add it to my homemade shear body butter. Coconut oil has good fats that locks moisture in your skin, leaving it radiant and moisturized.

Eye Cream- An eye cream is very important, every beauty enthusiasts probably knows this, it reduces dark circles and wrinkles around the eyes. Usually eye creams have retinol which is the active ingredient that deals with wrinkles and dark circles, thankfully I'm not dealing with any of those conditions, so a simple moisturizing agent that keeps the delicate skin around the eyes feeling soft and moisturized is all I need and coconut oil does the trick for me. I apply it liberally around my eyes at night and in the morning my eyes look bright and healthy.

Make-up remover- I think this is one of my best uses for coconut oil, it dissolves make up like a dream, no mater how proof that make up product is, water proof, oil proof, coconut oil will dissolve that baby. So what I do is, pour about half a tea spoon, rub in between my fingers and just massage in circles all around my face and my eyes and then use a damp wash cloth to wipe or just straight up wash. Its so easy, less tugging on my skin and it leaves my skin even more moisturized.

Hair styling and moisturizing- Whether natural or relaxed hair textures, coconut oil is a definite go to, I'm personally natural and my hair texture is some worth light, so coconut oil is perfect for me because shear butter and other styling products seems to weigh my hair down especially when I use it to style.

Hair oil treatment- As a treatment I add coconut oil to my home made deep conditioners or by it self, I apply it liberally from root to end in my clean dry or damp hair and wear a plastic cap, seat under the dryer/steamer for 1 hour or most often sleep with a plastic cap over my hair and in the morning I just rinse with warm water. I learnt this from my Indian friend, you can't go wrong with hair treatment advise from an Indian. lol

Protectant- Last but not least I love coconut oil for this, simply put for protection! if you go to the beach a lot or the pool, you definitely want to protect your skin and hair from all that chlorine, saltiness and even the sun. I just apply the coconut oil liberally on the skin or hair and afterwards wash. What this does is it creates a protective layer so the chlorine for example does not get a chance to penetrate.

Note: I've heard people say coconut oil makes them break out and what not, please be sure whatever you use works for you.
All pictures are from google images.
I hope you try these!
Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment